Thursday, January 29, 2009

yowsas

Well, we just got back from our first daycare tour. To me, the concept of daycare is strange. So is being a stay at home mom. Well, not as much as daycare. The place we looked at today was over a grand a month by the way. It's actually one of the more expensive ones. The thought of another person taking care of, spending time with, my child actually scares the shit out of me. I'm sure they're nice people. But I just don't know them. Brad and I both had the same feeling when we left. You must really have to love kids to do that kind of job. Some of the women today just had this beat down look to them. Hmph. Well, the search will continue. I hope we're doing the right thing for our child.

3 comments:

Emily said...

Ok - this advice comes from someone who has spent most of her life as a caregiver for other people's children.

The benefits of group childcare are fairly obvious, but I'm going to state them anyway: socialization, the knowledge (as soon as that part of the brain develops) that Mommy and Daddy Always Come Back, immunity boosting, time for Mom/Dad to do things that are just easier without an infant in tow: groceries, doctors, meetings, etc.

But it's expensive, the people who work there are sometimes overworked, and they are factories for every virus ever discovered.

A less expensive option - and how I paid for a lot of college - is to get a nanny. College students are ideal and they're less expensive, esp. part time. And your baby gets more focalized attention, as well as trips to the park to meet other kids and playdates when they're old enough.

Are you going back to work?

Meli said...

Oh crap, yeah, I'm going back. Most of the places were 6 week min, so that puts me going back july-ish.

Ashley said...

Hey, I'm glad you're back on the blog circuit!

And don't worry, I'm sure you two will find what's best for your family. As long as the parents love each other, they can't do anything to really mess the kid up too much! Y'all are going to be awesome parents!